I always dream of working in large tech companies like Google or Facebook, but my algorithm skill is bad. What should I do?

I always dream of working in large tech companies like Google or Facebook, but my algorithm skill is bad. What should I do?

If you are not passionate about algorithm contests, move on to some other tracks. From my experience, very few of the Googlers or Facebook engineers were programming contestants. I actually discourage to do programming contests to get a job at large firms as there are some better and easier tracks available for this purpose. Becoming a very good programming contestant to get a job at large companies is kind of an overkill IMHO and if you don't enjoy contest itself then I guess this attempt will go in vain.

Now if you want to do better in any track (programming contest, readability, music whatever) the rule of thumb is to do a lot of practice. Look at you, you can solve easy problems :) A lot of people can't solve those easy problems. The term, "Easy" differs from person to person. So some types of algorithm problems are well under your control. Try to expand your realm and learn some more and still you would say, "I can solve only easy problems." After quite a while you will find out that, "woh! interview questions for companies like Facebook, Google are also easy!" And then it comes.

But once again, if your sole purpose and aim is to get a job at large companies, become very good at something more practical like, networking, OOP, distributed system instead. These are better bait than algorithm contest to get a good job IMHO.

0 comments:

Post a Comment